Also, fall is quickly approaching and I want to start implementing protective styles. I want to get better at styling and have options.
YouTube! A style challenged girl's best friend. Unless you have a friend that does your hair (lucky). I watched a number a videos and stumbled upon 3 I found super helpful:
BlakIzBeautyful's bun, MissGlamourGirl1992 bun and bang and mstanish1 bun
I went to my neighborhood BSS and purchased a pack of Model Model Marley hair for 5 bucks and a pack of small bobby pins for a dollar. I picked up the hoops in the pics for 1.50. Less than 10-Cheap and Chic!
I practiced on a old twistout. I misted my hair with water and added a bit of shea butter to my hair before adding ecostyler with Argan Oil. I added three flat twist in the back because my hair was not stretched enough to place into a pony. Then, I slicked all the hair as best as i could with a Ouchless Goody band.
I two strand twisted one side on the Marley hair and placed the hair on my hair using the original rubber band. I started wrapping the loose hair around and bobby pinned as I went. After that was done, I wrapped the other side and bobby pinned that. ALL DONE!
This style can be sleek or you can make your bun as big and messy as you want. After I master doing this, I want to try adding the faux bang featured in MissGlamourGirl1992's video. I will post pics of the "true" bun results after Friday night.
- If you are going to an event, birthday, want to look FLY for Saturday night and etc, I would highly recommend trying this out first. Practice makes perfect.
- If you plan on blow drying your hair to stretch it, heat protectant first. Grapeseed oil is a great heat protectant that you might have in your bathrooms! CHI 44 thermal protectant spray and IC hair polisher heat protector serum are two that come to mind as well.
- Moisture your ends before putting them away!
- Your edges. If they are stressed easily, I would do this 3 days in a row max.
- When in doubt, gel gel and more gel! Also, using a satin scarf to smooth down the edges. Overnight for a sleeker look.